This first module of Virtual Skies features the art or science of flight, or, the science of aircraft operation. You will learn about:
- The four forces of flight
- How wings work, and the basics of aircraft wing design
- The five major structural components of modern aircraft
- Controlling aircraft in flight
- The tools used by engineers to design new aircraf
- How aeronautical calculations are used
Check out the variety of jobs associated with Aeronautics in the “Career Radar.”
After reviewing these topics in the "Tutorial," use the Control Services and Aircraft Motion activity to put your knowledge of Aeronautics to practical use in the "Take Control" subsection.
For those who want to assess their grasp of these Aeronautics concepts, there is a pass/no pass, multiple-choice quiz. With a score of >80%, you can print out a cool NASA Virtual Skies Aeronautics certificate of achievement.